Bioversity’s Biotech Career Foundations program, taught by Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) faculty, was created to teach people with at least a high school degree the soft and technical skills necessary to be work-ready upon graduation in scientific operations roles such as lab operations and facilities management.
The training program, which is made up of five modules as outlined in detail below, was designed after 18 months of engagement with local life sciences employers to determine how Bioversity could best help deepen and diversify the talent pipeline. This in-person, hands-on program seeks to develop talented graduates who will succeed on Day 1 and be well-positioned for career advancement in the life sciences industry.
Students who successfully complete this eight-week program will be awarded a Certificate of Completion from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and Bioversity. To earn the certificate, participants will need to pass a series of assessments woven throughout the program. Per best practice, assessments will take a variety of forms including demonstrations, multiple choice and short essay quizzes and completion of mini-projects. Along with the certificate, participants will receive frequent quantitative and qualitative feedback throughout the program.
A participant completing this program will achieve the following competencies:
- Demonstrate commitment and timeliness (by showing up each day on time for eight weeks)
- Understand the biotech industry and its career opportunities
- Recognize basic science concepts and equipment associated with lab work
- Apply environmental health and safety standards in a lab
- Explain and perform Good Documentation Practice (GDP)
- Perform facility cleaning and hazardous waste management functions
- Manage common lab and manufacturing inventory
- Understand the biomanufacturing process and environment
- Model professional behavior (integrated throughout the program)
- Practice effective communication skills (integrated throughout the program)
- Cultivate a professional presence and job interview skills